Which test will certify your English level?

There are many tests available to assess your English level. There will be no cut-off scores with these tests, but they only assess your knowledge of English. The Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) has defined levels, A1 to C2 to determine the learner’s level of proficiency in a language. Once you have taken the tests, you will be given a score. The IELTS (International English Language Testing system) is one of the exams that allow you to certify your English level.


Which exam to take depends on what you want to certify your level for. There are exams that are more suitable for professional purposes and others that are compulsory for successful entry to certain universities. IELTS is a standardised test. You can choose between four types of assessment depending on your needs. If you want to study in the UK, you will need to take an IELTS Academic test. If you just want to measure your general English level, the IELTS General Training test will give you practice. If it is not possible for you to go to a test centre in France, you can choose the IELTS Indicator test which is an online test. For those planning to immigrate to the UK or for visa purposes, they will need the IELTS for UKVI. To certify your level of English, you can take the IELTS English test by following this link.

The Test of English as a Foreign Language or TOEFL

Like the IELTS, the TOEFL is also a standardised test to certify your level of English. In order to gain entry to certain universities, you will need to take the TOEFL test which is an academic certification in the English language. Academic language skills will be assessed as part of the criteria for a student's success. To validate your skills, you can use the TOEFL iBT which can be taken online. Writing, speaking, listening and reading will be tested. The test lasts 4 hours. Your skills will then be valid for 2 years after being validated.

Other certified English language tests

Apart from IELTS and TOEFL, there are also other certified English language tests. These include the CLES or the DCL. You can get the CLES from French universities. Nine languages including English can be assessed. The DCL is a national professional diploma. It can also validate your level in English.

Plan du site